Home Remodeling Contractors
What’s Involved in Remodeling a House
How to Remodel Your House: Tips for a Successful Redesign
The thought of remodeling a house may be intimidating, but when you invest time up front to plan it out, you’ll discover how fun and rewarding it can be! First off, decide what aspects of your home you would like to change.
Plan the project: what needs to be done and what can wait
To ensure a successful home remodeling experience, you need to develop a plan. Here are some tips for mapping out your home remodeling project:
- Decide how much you can afford to spend on the project; and what you hope to accomplish with the remodel. The answers to these two questions will influence the project scope as well as your choice of contractor.
- Figure out what help you need. A home remodeling project can be broken down into smaller tasks that you can complete yourself, or with the help of friends and family. Examples of tasks that can be performed by the homeowner are flooring installation, painting, and replacing cabinet hardware.
- Select a design that fits your needs and tastes. An architect or interior designer can provide some ideas and inspiration.
- Ask people in your community for the names of reliable contractors who perform quality work.
- Once you have a list of possible contractors, reach out to them to ask for estimates. Make sure you understand what their bids say and ask questions if you don’t. Call the home renovation pros at Royal Construction in Virginia Beach to get a free estimate on your project!
- It’s a good idea to interview the contractors before you make a final decision. For example, do they have experience with the kind of work you have in mind? Ask the contractors for references from previous clients who had similar work done.
- Decide on a time to have the work done that will be less disruptive to your family’s life.
Doing it yourself: demolition, framing, drywall, etc.
Remodeling on your own may seem like a daunting task, but it can be simplified. Below we offer some tips to help you with different stages of the project.
First, carefully consider the work that’s required of you. Remodeling work can be expensive, time consuming and challenging. When in doubt, it’s best to enlist the services of a professional.
Second, be sure to assemble all the materials you’ll need for your project. You’ll be glad you did this beforehand as it will save you both time and money. Of course, don’t forget to read the product instructions closely before you get started.
Lastly, allow yourself ample time to do the work. You’ll enjoy it more if you take your time.
Finish up: painting, flooring, etc.
Once the major renovation work is complete, you can turn your attention to the finishing touches. A few of the most essential remodeling activities are painting, flooring, and fixture installation. Be sure to complete these steps before you resume normal activities in the house.
Before painting your walls, it’s important to apply one final coat of primer. In addition to helping the paint adhere better to the wall, it will also give your walls a smooth appearance. When installing flooring, the subfloor must be completely dry before you begin. And if you’re installing new fixtures, take time to carefully read the instructions so that you don’t damage anything.
Add your own touch: personalize your home
One way to express your personality and make your home feel like your own is to add your own personal touches. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Choose your favorite paint color for the walls. Hang photos or artwork that are meaningful to you. Find curtains or blinds that match your style and taste. Choose furnishings and decorative items that reflect your personality. Add house plants to add some life and brighten up the space. Use pillows and blankets to create a comfortable seating area for lounging.
Bottom line is, you can personalize your home on any budget so that it feels like yours!